doveTrinity United Churchcross

History

Recently we celebrated our 180th anniversary. We were originally known as the Wesleyan Methodist Church. We had "saddle bag preachers" and were part of the Niagara Circuit. A frame building was erected in 1832 as a place of worship. This soon proved too small and a larger building was erected with a Nonnan Tower (which is the building we have today) and was dedicated in 1849. The Reverend Egerton Ryerson was one of the original ministers.

Many changes have been made to the inside of the church, but only a few to the outside. A church bell weighing 415 pounds was placed in the tower in 1851. We became Trinity United in 1925 with the introduction of Church Union. Our church hall was erected in 1957. An elevator was added to the entryway of the church which makes the church, the big hall and the lower hall handicap accessible.

churchHistoric plaque